11.09.2011

Sea Shanties for Rough Waters (or, "Songs to Make It through this Week")

It's a really rough week at work, I'm all thrown off from the time change, and pre-holiday stress is starting to kick in.  I miss my extended family and friends that are far away.  Throw in too many bad hair days and a teething kid, and I slowly begin folding in on myself.  Music always helps me get through whatever troubles or worries are plaguing me.  Here are a few songs that are on heavy rotation this week:

1)  "It's a Fact (Printed Stained)," Matt & Kim -- peppy, short, heavy on the percussion!  The chorus "yes, yes, no, no no..." makes me giggle.  This is THE OFFICIAL theme song of toddlers everywhere.

2)  "10. A.M. Automatic," The Black Keys -- this song is so seriously badass.  It's a crank-at-full-volume-and-attempt-to-dance-while-driving kind of tune.

3)   "Save It for Later," The English Beat -- consistently one of my favorite songs of all time; one of those weird ones that I don't tire of no matter how often I listen.  This song completely sums up what it's like to be young and crave independence, while still sort of seeking your parents' support and approval.  And background violins make any song more profound, right?

4)  "Mystery Train, Pt. 2," Steve Earle -- The end of summer put me on a really big bluegrass/country kick, and ol' Stevie's a leftover from that.  This guy is incredible; I have an entire Pandora station devoted to him that I listen to at work when my afternoons revolve around spreadsheets.

5)  "My Way," Frank Sinatra -- This is the very epitome of "&$#* you, I don't need anyone, I'm awesome and can rely entirely upon myself."  It's the theme song for cantankerous old bachelors who drink too much Canadian Club.  But it's also the song that was played by every single street musician (I'm not even exaggerating) in spring of 2007 when Hubs and I went on a trip to Europe together.  That was back in our dating days, and that trip basically convinced us each that we had to marry each other.  It became "our song" as a result of that trip.  We even danced to it at our wedding, despite the fact that it's probably the most unromantic lyrical content ever.  I grin ear to ear every time I hear it in passing.

6) "Message of Love," The Pretenders -- Is there any goddess of rock who ranks above Chrissie Hynde?  Hell no.  Incidentally, this song also made an appearance at our wedding when we were announced at our reception.  And we (I) completely flubbed our big high-five intro, which totally doesn't still cause me embarrassment when I remember it.

7)  "Higher Love," Steve Winwood -- THIS IS MY JAM.  For reals.

8)   "Do You Love Me?," The Contours -- I know, right?  This song always makes me think of Teen Wolf Too too!

9)  "Take Me to the Pilot," Elton John -- EJ is incredible.  I even like his cheesy "That's Why They Call It the Blues" phase.  And don't get me started on my love of The Lion King soundtrack.  But very early EJ is the best version of himself, when he's all gospely and can hit those falsetto notes, hammering away at his ivories.  Plus, he's super duper live (HD was in ute when we saw him in concert, but judging from all her squirming, I gather she enjoyed as well).

10) "Love that Girl," Raphael Saadiq -- Everyone needs a little groove-happy in their life.  This man is one of the most perfect sources.

Happy listening!

No comments:

Post a Comment