11.08.2011

Roguish Desires (or, "I Like Stuff")

I don't exactly consider myself a tastemaker. I'm usually in that last tier of folks who hear about whatever internet/tech trends are going on.  I primarily listen to music from the 1970s (honest to God, I'm still trying to figure out who Bruno Mars is).  And my fashion sense is probably more Annie Hall than Olivia Palermo (ooh, did I just reference someone who's actually semi-recent?!).  But, boy, I do love getting all bossy and giving unsolicited advice.  So on that note, here's the things this week that I adore, and you should too:

  • Giada's Winter Minestrone Soup.  Holy mackerel, is this stuff tasty.  It's garlicky, slightly smokey from the pancetta, and chock full of delicious and healthy veggies.  Serve with a hunk of bread and you are all set.  Plus, the reruns of this soup are even better since the tastes have melded even more.  Although, I suppose that's true of most soups.  Anyway, I demand you make this one immediately. But only if you send me some because I'm almost out of my supply.
  • Our country's men and women in the armed forces.  Sure I'm thinking of this because it's Veteran's Day later this week.  But these folks (AND their families!!!) deserve to be thanked every repeatedly and often.  Not everyone in the military or national guard fully agrees with the politics of this country -- hell, how many of you agree with every choice your employer makes?  Yet they serve strong and proud because it's their job.  Please, please make it a point to say "hey, thank you for what you do" to anyone you know who's serving or has served, or even to any stranger you see in uniform.  I promise you it really does mean a lot to them, and that they do not hear it enough.  Stepping down off the soap box now.
  • Kids toys from Ikea.  Their stuff is all about creative play (lots of puppets, art supplies, play kitchens and tools, doctor sets).  It's colorful, durable, and cute.  And it's gloriously inexpensive.  I'm well on my way to having HD's Christmas all planned out and under budget, not to mention battery free.  Tack så mycket, Ikea!
  • To all those folks who get amped over the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte...well, yes, I like them too.  But I go completely bonkers for Trader Joe's spiced cider.  It's made from whole, pressed apples and pre-marinated with all that lovely cinnamon/all-spice/orange rind.  All you have to do is heat.  And it's only $2.99!!  This single product takes a company that I adore and projects them into the stratosphere.  Especially if paired with some gingerbread (as made by their mix from a box).
  • Working out and getting my Mardi Gras fix all at the same time.  (Although, Jasleen, I totally miss doing the Bollywood dance with you!)
  • Old Navy kids' clothes, particularly this awesome sweatshirty jacket thing.  Old Navy peeps -- pretty please make one in my size?

2 comments:

  1. I've been reading your blog for some time (I'm a fellow Bruin & friend of Shana's) and I love it. I just wanted to thank you for your nice comment about military folks and their families - my hubby is an Air Force pilot and is currently deployed, so it struck close to home. Also, as a fellow suburbanite, I totally relate to your blog. Thanks for the soup recipe, I've been on a soup-making kick lately so I'll be sure to add this one to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Monica, welcome :) Thanks for reading. And I mean it wholeheartedly -- thanks so much to your husband for his service (please tell him a total interwebs stranger said so) and thanks to you for your sacrifice while he's on deployment. I love the Five for Fridays on your blog. Such a sweet idea!

    ReplyDelete