5.27.2011

Gal o' the Western Trade Winds (or, "Ways I Want the Kid to be a California Girl")

I mentioned previously my desire to instill some good ol' Southern values into my daughter.  I have a great amount of pride for some of my Southern upbringing, but I am equally proud of my years in California.  This is, afterall, the place where I became an adult.  I've lived in the two most influential cities this state has to offer, and there are definitely aspects of the lifestyle here that I hope HD will have throughout her life, no matter where she goes.

Here are the Top California Influences/Ideas I Hope HD Has in her Life:

1.  I hope she loves living the outdoorsy life.  This state has some of the nation's most beautiful national and state parks, small suburbs (whatup, Belmont!) and big cities alike are packed with well-maintained hiking trails, and Cali has a crazy range of eco-systems to experience -- redwood forests, insanely hot deserts, gorgeous beaches, gigundo mountains, you name it.  HD already adores hanging out in the yard or parks, so we're off to a great start.  If only the weather would actually decide to be springlike so we could be outside more often (*shakes fist at nearby ever-hovering marine layer*)...

2. Exposure to lots of international cuisine.  Hubs and I are adventurous eaters, and very proud of that.  We've loved exploring LA's Koreatown, finding the best Thai takeout, braving Indian lunch buffets, stalking the Tamale Lady in the Mission District.  I'm hoping HD's current love of hummus and garlic means that she won't only insist on cheese pizza or crustless PB&J in a couple of years. 

3.  CA is certainly not environmentally perfect (what place is?), but there are solid attempts to make green choices more accessible to the masses here in the Bay Area.  Yay for county-wide composting and recycling programs, taking the train to work, landmark greenhouse gas laws, and blockage of local offshore drilling.  HD, this state is at least attempting to bank on your generation's future :)

4.  The diversity here is astounding in every sense of the word -- religious, ethnic, sexual, economic.  I hope that we're always able to show HD that there are all kinds of families, traditions, cultures, holidays.  That what's normal for her isn't "normal" for everyone.

5.  That In'n'Out is a spectacular thing indeed.  Especially if you substitute ketchup/mustard instead (anyone else with me on that?  Thousand Island is totally barf inducing).

2 comments:

  1. Hey, this post came back, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn! Hope you didn't have the problem of deleted posts as well. Weird Blogger hiccup...

    ReplyDelete