4.28.2011

Doublets, Waistcoats, and Breeches Part the Second (or, "Fashion Show!")

First off, HOLY MOLY.  Y'all, I have readers that I've never met.  I'm pretty stoked that my silly ponderings have somehow crossed the paths of folks other than my family and Facebook stalkers.  I honestly never really thought that would occur.  So to all who don't personally know me, welcome and bienvenido!  To all who do know me, I know...I know.  More video.  Next time, promise.
__________________

No one ever tells first time parents that you will not need to buy clothes for your kid the entire first 6 months of her or his little life.  If your child also has the blessing/curse of being the first grandchild on both sides of the family as well as the first kid to appear in her parents' local circle of friends...then you won't need to buy clothes for the entire first year of the kid's life.  You probably will pick up a couple of super practical items, like teeny weeny socks or a miniscule sweatshirt.  But you'll seriously only need to provide about 10% of the wardrobe.  The remainder will be gifted to you sporadically throughout the year, simply because who doesn't like to shop for itsy bitsy clothes?  [The Hubs and I actually had to hand down a moratorium on shopping to our respective mamas -- we don't want HD thinking every grandparent visit = presents.]

My favorite baby clothes are the ones that look like they're meant for doll-sized, super nerdy adults.  Give me a tiny sweater vest or pair of saddle shoes any day.  I am also a big fan of any items that reference pop culture or a hobby that's beloved by The Hubs and myself.  Most parents seem to fall in this category (hence all the babies decked out in sports team memorabilia).  But mostly, HD just wears what we have on hand.  The items themselves were lovingly given by awesome friends and family members, and clumsily/lazily/confusingly pieced together by yours truly.  Resulting outfits my be workable on a cute baby, but would be fodder for What Not to Wear in the adult world.  Let the fashion show begin!!

LOVE this Easter dress from my buddy Jasleen.  It's supremely Southern -- flowers, pleats, a sash, ruffle, and tulle.  
HD's reaction upon viewing herself with this hat in the mirror (ok, not really).  Thanks for the gift, Mammy & Pappy!

Ah, the glories of a baby's first seersucker dress, a pretty day at the Ferry Building, and a silly uncle! (I know, you can't really see the outfit in this one.  But I heart this photo, so there you have it.)
A pantsless HD and Cap'n (makeupless, although mercifully in pants),  reliving 80s hair trends.
My favorite outfit Of All Time.  The dress & shoes were gifts but naturally, the hat & leggings were Cap'n purchases!

HD's Grape-Ape/MC Hammer inspired overalls.  They're made from luxurious terry cloth!

I'm so pulling this blog out for HD's future suitors.  Muahahahahaha!!!

1 comment:

  1. Lol!! Love the side-ponies! And the one of HD and Als is adorable!

    ReplyDelete