8.17.2011

Sailing Solo (or, "The Weekend of the Single Parent")

Last weekend was my first full weekend as a single parent (Hubs was in the Vegas for his bro's bachelor party...don't worry, I dispense comeuppance in two weeks when I jet to San Diego for a bachelorette!).  Things I learned:

HD, helpfully "brushing" her own teeth (i.e. teething on the rubber finger grip thing) 
  • Group mentality ("takes a village to raise a child") does not necessarily apply to people who have kids that are grown.  HD and I went to a former co-workers' house for a BBQ.  After an hour, he looked at my plate and wanted to know why I wasn't eating.  He asked me this while I was running after HD, trying to thwart her attempts to nom on their lovely flowerbeds.  I just laughed in response (God bless his wife, who took over Toddler Watch for a good 40 minutes).
  • Yo Gabba Gabba is AMAZING.  It's also kind of the devil.  Great learning for tiny kids, cool music, definitely dance-inspiring (HD's moves consist of bobbing up and down and waving her hands).  We watched a grand total of 2 episodes broken into a few sessions throughout the weekend.  HD is now mildly obsessed, and there are non-stop requests for "gabby gabby."  We're attempting to keep it to 2 episodes a week.  [HD says "we'll see".]
  • Single parenting is the best diet ever.
  • If you get the laundry done, you sort of by proxy consider the rest of your house to be clean as well.  Clean undies = (practically) vacuumed floor.

    I may have forgotten a couple of parenting steps in my attempt to keep her happy all by my lonesome.

3 comments:

  1. Nice job, mama! (She's so stinking cute, I can't get over it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the laundry comment. But that works for me whether I am single parenting or not (oh yeah, and it doesn't necessarily have to be folded).

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's playing with the turtle!!

    ReplyDelete