3.14.2011

Sailing Solo and Buried Treasure (or "The Cap'n's Day Off")

Avast!

This Saturday, I got a super duper treat.  Hubs took the baby and headed out to see his folks for the afternoon, and magnanimously urged me to spend the day on my own.  Now, it must be stated that Hubs and I try to give each other occasional breaks.  One of us will spend some quality time with the kid and allow the other to go hang with some friends.  But last Saturday was different.  This was a day to myself, no plans with friends or family, no errands, and most importantly -- no plan.  An incredible break for a lady who usually over plans, and who loves to spend time by herself.

I threw my book (Middlemarch) into a bag, put on my comfiest cute flats (Cole Haan outlet!), and cranked my new iPod playlist (Raphael Saadiq, the Faces).  The destination -- my beloved San Francisco.  No way I was wasting my afternoon of freedom in the 'burbs.

I found myself in the northern center of town and scored free all-day parking.  It was just that kind of day!  I headed east on foot with no idea of where I wanted to end up.  Meandered east past a few main thoroughfares and then went up into Russian Hill to wander past all the pretty historic apartment buildings and hidden parks.  Went down the Vallejo steps (one of my fave parts of the city), jamming to my music and occasionally hanging out on a bench strategically placed to take in the fullest bay view possible.  Cut through Chinatown and glanced through the insane weekend markets.  By then, I was hungry and near a beloved spot of mine, Mario's Cigar Store.  They don't really sell cigars; just Italian food and wine/beer.
Beer and George Eliot ("one of these things is not like the other...")!

Panini with salami,  cheese, roasted peppers, and peppercinis.   Nom nom nom.

I proceeded to enjoy my read and a crazy tasty sammie with beer.  Chatted up a doctor who loves college basketball; my kind of lady.  My server warily asked if I was taking pics of my food to put on Yelp.  I told him I was going to send them to Hubs to make him jealous.

I then headed straight up Union street, and called my Mama.  My mother is one of the absolute best people I've ever known -- and I'm not just saying paying my dues when I say that.  She really is a wonderful friend, hilarious and a good listener to boot.  She also has a firm love of San Francisco, so I called her on my walk and gave her the blow by blow of my day (Mama -- now you get photos to go with it!).  In true Mama-Cap'n fashion, we caught up on family gossip, an upcoming trip, our respective days, and baby updates in about 15 minutes flat, talking a mile a minute.  Our conversation ended because I stumbled upon the Most Splendiforous Stores Thar Ever Be, Molte Cose and Belle Cose, and immediately had to enter.  This place made me feel just like Mikey when he saw One Eyed Willie's "rich stuff" for the first time.  Picked up a couple of surcies (Charlestonian for "present for no apparent reason") for my beloveds.  An ultra-cool Lil' Helper's tool kit for HD, Art Deco tray for the house, SFFD carved box for Hubs.
Old, cute, shiny things!  A pirates treasure trove!
By that point, it was time to wrap it up.  I basked a bit in the sunshine, blew a kiss to the bay view before me, and headed home.  And on the way back, was lucky enough to catch up with one of my best  (and busiest!) friends via phone [Hi, Jazzy!]
One happy sailor, enjoying some gorgeous weather.
And just a bit later, this fully recharged captain was once again reunited with the finest first mate in the seven seas.  Nothing like an HD monster hug to round out a perfect day.
Who, me?

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a perfect day! My DH is good about providing these breaks too...really makes me wonder how moms without strong support partners manage. It's much easier to be a good person when you can recharge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent point. Huge props to all the amazing parenting partners out there who make our recharges possible! Glad you have such a suuporting and loving Hubs too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SIGH!!! a perfect day ending with the cutest little girl ever! love you deidre! getting excited to see you in a few months :)

    ReplyDelete