2.14.2011

That Blasted Day of the Wee Angel-Boy’s Arrrrrrows (or, “Happy Valentine’s Day, Everyone”)

My first holiday theme post!  This is the perfect occasion to touch on a subject that is most dear to my heart, but til now only hinted upon on this blog: my beloved Hubs.


The handsomest lad, with the luckiest lass.

It needs to be stated for the official online record that I am a very lucky woman.  I’ve had this incredible man in my life for neigh on 6 years (3 for courting, 1 for engagement, and nearly 2 of holy matrimony).  Since day one, this sailor has been my number one partner in crime.  So for those of you who can bear the sugar, here is an abbreviated list of why I adore him:


1)      The sarcasm that sounds like complete, utter sincerity.  Most people who meet Hubs need a few encounters to pick up on the fact that he is rarely ever serious.  He has this sweet, unassuming persona that cleverly masks his wicked sense of humor.  He will zing anyone and everything, and most people don’t realize that it’s happening.  Never fails to crack me up, usually when I least expect him to.

2)      I knew in the first year of our time together that I could marry him because he values his family so much (and, ergo, values mine).  He loves, appreciates, and respects his folks without having mama’s boy syndrome.  He and his bro are close, so Hubs automatically understands my friendship with my own bro.  But most importantly, he constantly demonstrates that our own new little family of HD, Hubs and Cap’n comes first.   


3)      “Partner” is one of the best words to describe him.  He picks up the slack when I’m lagging (in anything from chores or financial issues to planning our vacations and making sure we spend time with friends).  It’s always been this way, ever since our dating days.  But there is no way I fully appreciated it until we became parents.  Especially when he gets up at dawn with the baby to let me sleep.

4)      He smells awesome and is the best kisser ever.  Throw in that gorgeous smile and his cleft, and I’m a goner.  [Sorry to those readers who hate the mushy stuff.  But come on, he’s hot.] 

5)      On our first date, he reminded me of some stellar Goonies trivia [What is Mouth’s real name?  Only the true fans know!]  On our second date, he sang me the theme song to Perfect Strangers.  If that’s not wooing, I don’t know what is.

I could go on and on (he’s also a super hard worker, HUGELY intelligent, a super-talented Mr. Fixit, his friends are awesome, he’s a doting and completely involved daddy, etc, etc.). 


With a kid in the picture, it’s a little tough to fit romance in.  But it’s still very important that we do.  After all, we want to be a good example for HD on what a marriage should be.  This morning, I treated Hubs to cinnamon buns and juice in bed.  Left little post-its around the kitchen listing reasons I love him.  Tonight, we’ll play with our little girl valentine, then enjoy some take out and fancy wine.  Valentine’s Day doesn’t need to be expensive or exclusive.  I’m just glad for the opportunity to remind my amazing co-captain just how special he is. 

We love our children because they’re a part of us.  But we love our spouses and partners because we choose to.  Hubs, thanks for choosing me.


This photo is just necessary.  Happy V Day from HD!

2 comments:

  1. You guys are so freaking cute!! (And yes, he does have some awesome friends, lol! =)) You guys are an inspiration to us. You seem to have this perfect balance that keeps all three of you happy and in love. Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, thanks for all the comments love; I feel special :) And YES, Hubs has amazing friends-- I'm lucky to call y'all my own! I'd say you, Todd, and the animal menagerie manage to have a fun balance too!

    ReplyDelete